So it’s final – the Internet has spoken and we’ve decided that “there’s plenty of room” and we’re adding OutKast to the side of Stone Mountain.
(If you turned on a computer yesterday you know that artist Mack Williams’ proposal to add the hip-hop rap duo to the side of the mountain easily reached and surpassed every goal set on its MoveOn petition page).
Phase one complete!
Next we’ve got to figure out who will do the carving.
- Roy Faulkner. When the current carving was completed in 1972 it was Faulkner who was the crew foreman. Faulkner does not have a Facebook account, therefore he has been difficult to contact. He lives in Snellville today.
- Gutzon Borglum. It was Borglum’s sketches that led to the original carvings done in 1923. Utilizing Borglum’s talents might quiet any rumblings from the status quo and could even appease “the old.”
**UPDATE: Borglum died 74 years ago, so he’s a definite “no.”
- Stan Mullins. Mullins is a Georgia-native and Athens resident who is a world-renown sculptor. You can see his statue of legendary Georgia coach Vince Dooley on Lumpkin Street in Athens next to the UGA Track.
- OUR CHOICE: Mack Williams: Although he has little experience working with stone, it was Williams’ vision that led to the MoveOn petition that was signed by thousands of people all over the world. An animator by trade, it seems reasonable to believe that he’ll easily be able to mastermind the granite OutKast addition.
NEXT IN OUR SERIES: HOW TO PAY FOR STANK MOUNTAIN?
In 1958 the mountain was purchased by the State of Georgia. It’s going to be difficult to get cash out of the state so fundraising will have to be done creatively.
- I assume Mack will need payment for the job in order to pay rent, etc. The word is that he’d be willing to take on the project for a friend-rate ($250K).
- We’ll need ladders and ropes (?) I guess.
- Mack will need something to carve with and he’ll probably need a lot of them because the surface area is huge.
(A) Does anyone live near Stone Mountain and (B) can Mack stay with you while working on the project?
Is anyone willing to donate sunblock? (Maybe someone with a Costco membership?)